Fuck The Bible

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fuck The Bible

Post by le reddit maymays on April 29th 2012, 4:48 am

There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion was wiped out and nothing was passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in it's place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science was wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again.
- Penn Jillette

Arguing with religious nutjobs is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good i am at chess the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board, and strut around like it's victorious.

le reddit maymays
hurr i'm a hoers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fuck The Bible

Post by Redivivus on April 29th 2012, 12:41 pm

Original thoughts please

Redivivus
Red Pantsu, Blue Name

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/tppolo009

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonScuba on April 29th 2012, 12:46 pm

Even if there is or isn't, wondering how everything was created is still a mindfuck.

Also, why are you posting this?

CrimsonScuba
BUSINESS KARAOKE ADMIN GUY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Icky Sticky Love on April 29th 2012, 2:21 pm

Cool and edgy.

Icky Sticky Love
Shoryuken

View user profile http://youtube.com/emoaznmusician

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizen on April 29th 2012, 2:38 pm

I know this is half-joke half-troll, I'll go along with it though.

Science wouldn't progress exactly the same way as it did before either.
Just because our explanations are almost definitely false doesn't mean that there is no god. You could disprove every single religion and it would still not invalidate the idea of a god.

I can't tell if you're serious about being Atheist, though. Atheism is still a religion because it is still a set of beliefs that are commonly taught or shared, but the Atheists who actually claim there's no god are ignorant. You shouldn't disacknowledge the existence of a god or the lack thereof one no matter what religion you are, as there's still no conclusive evidence for either side, hence why I'm a pragmatic agnosticist.

Not going to waste any more effort on this text-wall of mine, so copypasta:
Apathetic agnosticism (also called pragmatic agnosticism) acknowledges that thousands of years of debate have neither proven, nor dis-proven, the existence of one or more deities. This view concludes that even if one or more deities exist, they do not appear to be concerned about the fate of humans. Therefore, their existence has little impact on personal human affairs and should be of little theological interest.

Apatheists hold that if it were possible to prove that God exists, their behavior would not change. Similarly, there would be no change if someone proved that God does not exist.

Rizen
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by le reddit maymays on April 29th 2012, 2:39 pm

re·li·gion /riˈlijən/

Noun:
The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.

le reddit maymays
hurr i'm a hoers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizen on April 29th 2012, 2:43 pm

re·li·gion/riˈlijən/

Noun:
1. The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.
2. Details of belief as taught or discussed.

I'm almost 2000% sure you're not serious about being Atheist now, nigre.

Rizen
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 1Pantsu on April 29th 2012, 2:44 pm

Kips, did a christian kill your family yesterday or something?

1Pantsu
Lolicon
Lolicon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by #BasedBear on April 29th 2012, 2:51 pm

Atheism is a lack of belief. There are no teachings. It is simply the idea of not believing in a god. It is in no way a religion. Hate to agree with kips but he's right.

Atheism is a religion in the sense not collecting stamps is a hobby. Hate to use that shitty overuses phrase but it's the only way some people understand it.

#BasedBear
Forum Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by le reddit maymays on April 29th 2012, 2:54 pm

FoxesPantsu wrote:Atheism is a religion in the sense not collecting stamps is a hobby. Hate to use that shitty overuses phrase but it's the only way some people understand it.

>Overused
>First time I, and probably everyone else here has ever heard it.

No.

le reddit maymays
hurr i'm a hoers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by #BasedBear on April 29th 2012, 2:55 pm

Kips wrote:
FoxesPantsu wrote:Atheism is a religion in the sense not collecting stamps is a hobby. Hate to use that shitty overuses phrase but it's the only way some people understand it.

>Overused

No.
You don't spend much time outside do you.

#BasedBear
Forum Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizen on April 29th 2012, 3:05 pm

FoxesPantsu wrote:Atheism is a lack of belief. There are no teachings. It is simply the idea of not believing in a god. It is in no way a religion. Hate to agree with kips but he's right.

Atheism is a religion in the sense not collecting stamps is a hobby. Hate to use that shitty overuses phrase but it's the only way some people understand it.
This would be true if Atheism were simply the lack of belief in a god, but instead it's the assertion of non-existence of all gods, and attempts to disprove all of the aforementioned.
By calling themselves Atheists, they are demonstrating how it is indeed a religion by how they are simplifying their belief(s) into that of the common teachings or discussions regarding Atheism. If they were to instead say that they didn't believe in god, that would be their singular belief and not their religion.

Atheism also goes by Ninian Smart's Seven Dimensions of Religion: http://www2.kenyon.edu/Depts/Religion/Fac/Suydam/Reln101/Sevendi.htm

Rizen
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by #BasedBear on April 29th 2012, 3:11 pm

Rizen wrote:
FoxesPantsu wrote:Atheism is a lack of belief. There are no teachings. It is simply the idea of not believing in a god. It is in no way a religion. Hate to agree with kips but he's right.

This would be true if Atheism were simply the lack of belief in a god, but instead it's the assertion of non-existence of all gods, and attempts to disprove all of the aforementioned.
By calling themselves Atheists, they are demonstrating how it is indeed a religion by how they are simplifying their belief(s) into that of the common teachings or discussions regarding Atheism. If they were to instead say that they didn't believe in god, that would be their singular belief and not their religion.

Atheism also goes by Ninian Smart's Seven Dimensions of Religion: http://www2.kenyon.edu/Depts/Religion/Fac/Suydam/Reln101/Sevendi.htm
Again, atheism is a lack of belief. It is in no way able to be compared to a system of teachings and beliefs.

Two different kinds of atheism. There is gnostic atheism, where one believes that there truly cannot be no god with no proof. Then there is agnostic atheism in which one does not know whether or not there is a god and will not believe there is one until evidence is given to them until then they will not believe.

Not believing in a god does not equal a religion. It is simply a state of being. You do not believe and that is that.

Furthermore, Theism in itself is not a religion. It is simply believing in a god. The extra aspects to make it a religion come with beliefs from believing in said god and teachings to the people.

Last edited by FoxesPantsu on April 29th 2012, 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

#BasedBear
Forum Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizen on April 29th 2012, 3:14 pm

Kips wrote:>Overused

No.

It's not overused because it's fallacious.
FoxesPantsu wrote:Atheism is a religion in the sense not collecting stamps is a hobby.
All it does is confuse those who try to understand it. Not collecting stamps would be something you simply don't do, and (most likely) don't think about. If you replaced Atheism with Agnosticism then this would be true.

Rizen
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizen on April 29th 2012, 3:19 pm

FoxesPantsu wrote:Again, atheism is a lack of belief. It is in no way able to be compared to a system of teachings and beliefs.

Two different kinds of atheism. There is gnostic atheism, where one believes that there truly cannot be no god with no proof. Then there is agnostic atheism in which one does not know whether or not there is a god and will not believe there is one until evidence is given to them until then they will not believe.

Not believing in a god does not equal a religion. It is simply a state of being. You do not believe and that is that.
Then you're speaking of agnosticism, as I said earlier. Atheism is the active belief that there is no god. Agnosticism is to not know and therefore not believe. Gnostic atheism would then be able to be considered a religion, where Agnostic would not be.

Refer to them accordingly, because you'll only spawn similar debates for no reason. Agnosticism = Agnostic Atheism. Gnostic Atheism = Atheism.

Believing that there is absolutely no god, however, does equal a religion.

Rizen
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by #BasedBear on April 29th 2012, 3:22 pm

Rizen wrote:
FoxesPantsu wrote:Again, atheism is a lack of belief. It is in no way able to be compared to a system of teachings and beliefs.

Then you're speaking of agnosticism, as I said earlier. Atheism is the active belief that there is no god. Agnosticism is to not know and therefore not believe. Gnostic atheism would therefore be able to be considered a religion, where Agnostic would not be.

Refer to them accordingly, because you'll only spawn similar debates for no reason. Agnosticism = Agnostic Atheism. Gnostic Atheism = Atheism.

Believing there there is no god, however, does equal a religion.
Incorrect. Atheism goes either way. If you are agnostic then you are atheist, not believing in a deity makes you an atheist. Whether or not you are willing to change your position based on evidence makes you either Agnostic atheist or Gnostic atheist.

Gnostic atheism would still not be considered a religion because it is still simply a state of being. It is simply not believing. Atheism has no teachings and it holds no beliefs. It is simply a LACK of belief. It cannot be equated to religion, a system that holds beliefs, teachings, and morals.

#BasedBear
Forum Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizen on April 29th 2012, 3:26 pm

With the edited in bit, you're just over-simplifying shit and confusing people more. This was obviously about Gnostic Atheism(which is specific enough to be considered a religion), trying to say you were talking about Agnosticism as well is only admitting that you were half wrong, but it's just an attempt to cover your ass.

I feel too sick and dim right now to be arguing about something you could easily Google. Quit the belligerence and actually attempt at knowledge rather than debate.

Rizen
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by #BasedBear on April 29th 2012, 3:31 pm

It's simplifying it so your ass can understand that atheism is not a religion. Gnostic atheism cannot be considered a religion the same as gnostic theism cannot be considered a religion. They are simply states of being. Whether or not you create a system of beliefs and morals on that belief is what separates it from religion or not.

Atheism goes both ways whether or not you like it. Agnostics are not a special group of people as most of them like to consider themselves, they are atheist along with the gnostics. Same as agnostic theists are theist along with gnostic theists. Is that really so damn hard to understand?

#BasedBear
Forum Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizen on April 29th 2012, 3:35 pm

FoxesPantsu wrote:Incorrect. Atheism goes either way. If you are agnostic then you are atheist, not believing in a deity makes you an atheist. Whether or not you are willing to change your position based on evidence makes you either Agnostic atheist or Gnostic atheist.

Gnostic atheism would still not be considered a religion because it is still simply a state of being. It is simply not believing. Atheism has no teachings and it holds no beliefs. It is simply a LACK of belief. It cannot be equated to religion, a system that holds beliefs, teachings, and morals.
You really should put some more research into Atheism before you try to argue about it. Stop referring to it vaguely, Atheism almost always refers to Gnostic Atheism, while Agnosticism almost always refers to Agnostic Atheism.

It isn't a state of being at all. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnostic_atheism
It is a belief that gods in general do not exist.
Now you're speaking of Kips narrow definition.

Refer to the 2nd one in my post.

Take a while to think about it. Maybe give your anger a little while to simmer down so you'll actually accept something that would be taken positively and easily otherwise.
It's not very groundbreaking. I don't even believe any right-minded Atheist would attempt to defend that their religion is not one by the definition I gave.

If you want to play around with words then go ahead, I won't join you.

Rizen
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by le reddit maymays on April 29th 2012, 3:59 pm

This thread turned really gay really fast.

le reddit maymays
hurr i'm a hoers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizen on April 29th 2012, 4:02 pm

It was bad from the start

Rizen
Spammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Redivivus on April 29th 2012, 4:36 pm

Kips wrote:This thread turned really gay really fast.
it had a head start seeing as you were the faggot OP

Either way religious debates are kinda pointless. For the most part, religion is based on a system of beliefs and if the beliefs are true then it affirms the existence of a god or multiple gods, and people don't usually give up their beliefs because someone said their religion was faggotry

Redivivus
Red Pantsu, Blue Name

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/tppolo009

Back to top Go down

Post by KaiserBlade on April 29th 2012, 4:41 pm

Kips wrote:This thread turned really gay really fast.
It turned into a debate, which required intelligent responses, of which you're incapable of.

All I know is, when Major Yuri Gagarin went up into space, the Earth was blue, but there was no God up there.

KaiserBlade
Forum God

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/Soundninja18?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by Icky Sticky Love on April 29th 2012, 5:23 pm

There is no such thing as a religious debate, considering the fact that everything in religion is speculation, opinion, or based on faith and is non-quantifiable. To have a debate, both sides are trying to prove a point based on logic and evidence. Arguing about religion, regardless of the topic within it, it just pointless a "my dick is bigger than your's" argument, i.e. you're both fags for waving your dicks at each other.

Icky Sticky Love
Shoryuken

View user profile http://youtube.com/emoaznmusician

Back to top Go down

Post by Nett[le]s on April 29th 2012, 8:49 pm

Sorry for not being here to lock this thread earlier.

1. We know that Carl Sagan and Richard Dawkins make us hard. No need to remind us of it.

2. It doesn't matter if atheism is a religion or not. It is in some senses, but to most, it isn't. No need to be nitpicky about stupid shit.

3. Militant atheists are ERIK IS GAY.

4. Militant theists are ERIK IS GAY.

5. fak u gooby

Nett[le]s
Leader of Pantsu

View user profile http://desumatch.forumclan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:12 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next